Daily Email

Friday, March 22, 2024

Poem: “God So Loved the World, John 3:14-21” by Ann Weems

 For God so loved the world …

The melody of the anthem 

we sang in the church choir 

when I was in high school 

floats over me, 

embeds itself in me, 

repeats itself … 

that God gave his only begotten Son … 

The days of Lent are passing too quickly.

Almost over almost over.

Where have the days gone?

What have we done? 

that whoso believeth, believeth in him …

Keep your eyes on me. 

Shall not perish shall not perish 

Eyes on me. 

but have everlasting life 

everlasting life

Eyes on me.

 

Many did, many didn’t 

keep their eyes on Jesus.

Many do, many don’t 

keep their eyes on Jesus.

 

God gave covenant 

commandments 

laws 

life 

freedom 

promise 

hope 

and love … 

and they complained 

about the food. 

The story makes me nervous.

 

For God so loved the world 

that God gavegavegavegave 

gave his only Son 

that whoever believes in him 

will have everlasting life.

Gave!

We don’t have to earn it.

If we believe we will follow we will live.

Believe follow live.

Live because you follow because you believe

God’s good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment