Daily Email

Friday, March 1, 2024

Prayer: Listening to Winter by Joyce Rupp (adapted)

I am listening to the roar and quiet of winter
to a beauty that sometimes remains unseen.

I am listening to the seed hidden in the earth
to the dark swallowing up the light
to faith rising out of doubt
to the need to believe without seeing.

I am listening to storms raging out my window
to storms raging in my heart
to all that makes me pull my cloak a little tighter
to trust buried deep in the ground of my being.

I am listening to the kind permission of the season
to rest more often
to reflect more deeply
to pray without words.

I am listening to the sacrament of non-doing
to the quiet life in winter’s womb
to bare trees, so lovely in their emptiness,
to winter, nurturing spring

I am listening to the poetry of winter.

Excerpted and adapted from The Circle of Life: The Heart’s Journey Through the Seasons by Joyce Rupp and Macrina Wiederkehr (Sorin Books).

No comments:

Post a Comment