Daily Email

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Poem: “With Clearer Eye” by William Deerfield

If only I could see today, 
In everyone that comes my way, 
A child of God, though dimly drawn. 
Then no one, Lord, would be my pawn 
To use in any scheme of mine, 
However grand, or warped design … 

If only, passing on the street, 
In every stranger I may meet … 
    The business man who rushes by, 
    The homeless one, with downcast eye, 
    The mother with a child in tow, 
    The rowdy kids that laughing go, 
    The actress with her haughty look, 
    The student with his bag and book … 
A child of Thine, I could discern, 
The heart in me, O Lord, would burn 
To look on each with kind regard, 
And not with looks indifferent, hard. 
In each, if only I might see 
The essence of humanity 
And godliness, though blurred the grace; 
For all that breathe reflect God’s face. 
Oh, let me see with clearer eye – 
A child of God just walked on by. 

 Source: June Cotner, Bedside Prayers: Prayers and Poems for When You Rise and Go to Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment