Daily Email

Friday, June 14, 2019

My arrival at Creighton


My travel day to Omaha was uneventful. Since it was Pentecost, I noticed the strong, persistent winds that swept over the airport. I left an eighty-degree day in Boston for 67 degrees in Omaha. Typically, the weather patterns are reversed.

The Jesuit Community warmly welcomed me back into the house and ministry, and I was so pleased to have almost immediate near-total recall of their names. It is odd how memories come back when needed. I even was able to recall the station numbers of the television. Memory is a fascinating process.

The opening night’s dinner was filled with inspiring people. I was amazed at the range of people who are pursuing a degree in Theology or in Spirituality – from priests, religious, dentists, lawyers, parents and grandparents, seminary directors, corporate workers – from a range of countries. It is quite fascinating to see them all united around their quest to be a spiritual companion for others on the journey. I am impressed with their dedication to their studies.

After dinner, I walked around the part of the city that leads to the Old Market. Each year I do so, I see expanded development. Old warehouse type buildings are replaced by new hotels or commercial centers and the waterfront area’s development keeps reaching forward to come to the border of the school. The progress of the city is visible; it is another city on the rise.

I did learn that my Boston Red Sox hat was not completely welcome by the locals as I walked by taverns that televised the Bruins-Blues games. I did learn that people in the Midwest do not want Boston teams to win championships anymore. They think we have enough rings and they want other teams to have a shot. Some were delighted that the Bruins lost, but I really liked this hockey gang, and they were also equally delighted that Toronto beat Golden State.

I am enjoying the students in my class. We have good conversations, and each is a very likable person. I have a feeling this first summer session is going to be a terrifically consoling class. I pray for them each night.

I also pray for my friends and parishioners back home. One parishioner just suddenly lost his wife, and I feel badly for him. The summer is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment