Daily Email

Saturday, June 8, 2019

A Month in Omaha

On Pentecost Sunday, I head to Omaha, Nebraska to teach a theology class in prayer at Creighton University's Summer Spirituality Program. I will return to Boston in early July. I'm excited about my class and to see the students, who are impressive individuals. I'm looking forward to see many friends associated with the Jesuits and the University whose friendships I have cultivated over the past few years.

I enjoy teaching these students. I enjoy teaching this content because it is a class that teaches people who to pray according to their unique styles. We use artwork, the use of imagination, and creative activities to help the students expand their prayer styles. Incorporated into the class are trips to the Joslyn Art Museum, the Hot Shops, and a watercolor class, and photography composition class.

I do enjoy teaching, and I do enjoy the conversations with students.

I like listening to people on the East Coast try to remember where I will be for the month. They remember something about a vowel, (Idaho, Iowa, Ohio, but not Illinois or Indiana.) They know it is a Midwestern state, like Kansas. Omaha, though, is a great town. It has a vibrant downtown area called the Old Market, much distinctive architecture, and lots of public art. The city has many diverse sections and since it is the home of Berkshire Hathaway, it has several Fortune 500 companies, and this is the month for the College World Series.

Let's get this started.

No comments:

Post a Comment