Daily Email

Thursday, June 1, 2023

Poem: "Myself" by Edgar A. Guest

 I have to live with myself and so

I want to be fit for myself to know

I want to be able as days go by,

always to look myself straight in the eye;

I don’t want to stand with the setting sun

and hate myself for the things I have done.

I don’t want to keep on a closet shelf

a lot of secrets about myself

and fool myself as I come and go

into thinking no one else will ever know

the kind of person I really am,

I don’t want to dress up myself in sham.

I want to go out with my head erect

I want to deserve all men’s respect;

but here in the struggle for fame and wealth

I want to be able to like myself.

I don’t want to look at myself and know

I am bluster and bluff and empty show.

I can never hide myself from me;

I see what others may never see;

I know what others may never know,

I can never fool myself and so,

whatever happens I want to be

self-respecting and conscience free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment