Daily Email

Thursday, August 26, 2021

Spirituality: Oscar Wilde, "De Profundis"

 Speaking of his interchange with a woman "for whom Beauty and Sorrow walk hand in hand...
" I said to her that there was enough suffering in one narrow London lane to show that God did not love humans." "Now it seems to me that Love of some kind is the only possible explanation of the extraordinary amount of suffering that there is in the world. I cannot conceive any other explanation. I am convinced that there is no other and that if the worlds have indeed as I have said, been built out of sorrow, it has been by the hand of Love, because in no other way could the soul of a human for whom the worlds are made reach the full stature of its perfection. Pleasure for the beautiful body, but pain for the beautiful soul."


It is love, and the capacity for it, that distinguishes one human being from another.

No comments:

Post a Comment