Daily Email

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Prayer: William J. Byron, S.J., Growing Old Gratefully

I could start counting now, Lord, and I would be at it for days
taking inventory of your blessings to me.

Forgive me for not noticing them
more readily and more often.

When everything is going well,
I rarely think of pausing to say thanks.
That’s simply wrong of me and terribly immature.

Now that I am taking a moment to think about it,
I’m beginning to notice the arrogance of my refusal to say thanks
and the selfishness of putting myself on center stage
without a nod to the playwright, producer, and supporting cast,
not to mention the folks who built the theater and sold the tickets.
Let me shun for this brief moment the spotlight I crave
in order to find the humility I need.

And there, on the ruins of my self-centeredness,
I pray for an abiding sense of gratitude.
One word turns my heart to you: Gratias!




No comments:

Post a Comment