Daily Email

Monday, March 11, 2019

Spirituality: Jeptha

This afternoon, I went to a production of Boston Baroque's Jephtha, by Handel. Jephtha was a Jewish man who became commander of the Jewish army against the Ammonites (the people of Amman), which held military advantage in an 18-year war. Jephtha, realizing that he needed divine inspiration to win, appealed to the Lord and made a vow: If you help us win, I will sacrifice the first creature that I see when I return home to the Lord. The Israelites' fortune changed and they were victorious. Jephtha returned home and the first creature that he saw was his beautiful young daughter, who he now promised to sacrifice to the Lord in order to keep his vow. He was heart-broken.

On a day that I was tired because of a lack of sleep, two morning masses, a showing at the studio, the last thing I wanted to do was attend a concert. Besides, it was a cold, rainy, grey day and it was so much easier just to go home and take a nap. That would have been wrong. The soloists and choristers were spectacular. I enjoyed the recitatives and arias, and the story's plot was engaging. It hit home even more so that it was set in Amman, Jordan. When the performance finished, it felt like I drank six cups of highly caffeinated coffee.

I enjoyed the two masses this morning as well. The 9:30 mass was with families and their children. The kids line up at the altar so close as they look inside the chalice and patten hoping to see Jesus. I remind them that we do it by faith. I notice the effect the mass has upon them when they come forward at communion time to seek a blessing. They feel included in the service and are learning how to participate.

It was a good day. I'm thankful to be in Boston with its abundant music scene. Today was Martin Pearlman's Boston Baroque; last week was Jennifer Lester's Seraphim Singers; the week prior was Boston Symphony Orchestra staging a production of Suor Angelica. It is a good time to hear concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment