Daily Email

Saturday, October 3, 2026

Poem: “Song at the Beginning of Autumn” by Elizabeth Jennings

 Now watch this autumn that arrives

In smells. All looks like summer still;

Colours are quite unchanged, the air

On greens and white serenely thrives.

Heavy the trees with growth and full

The fields. Flowers flourish everywhere.

 

Proust who collected time within

A child’s cake would understand

The ambiguity of this – 

Summer still raging while a thin 

Column of smoke stirs from the land

Proving that autumn gropes for us.

 

But every season is a kind

Of rich nostalgia. We give names – 

Autumn and summer, winter, spring – 

As though to unfasten from the mind

Our moods and give them outward forms.

We want the certain, solid thing.

 

But I am carried back against

My will into a childhood where

Autumn is bonfires, marbles, smoke;

I lean against my window fenced

From evocations in the air.

When I said autumn, autumn broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment