Daily Email

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Poem: "Looking Ahead" by William Byron, S.J.

Lord, let me see the future through the eye of my heart.
Lift my heart to see ahead, and let my single-heartedness – grounded in you – to stay the course.

Over land, over sea, through the tunnels of discouragement,
through this setback, or that reversal;
on the heights, in the depths, on the bricks, in the pits,
wherever I happen to be on the growing edge of life,
keep me pointed, Lord, towards a future full of hope.

I know this means that I will be pointed towards you.
I also know it means that you are always pointed
(not pointed at, but positioned) toward me.

Someone once said that “a poor man is not a man without a dime;
he’s a man without a dream.”
No matter how many dimes I may or may not have
on any given day, Lord, I pray for Spirit-driven dreams
that keep me moving ahead – towards you. Amen.

Source: William J. Byron, S.J., A Book of Quiet Prayer, pp. 16-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment