Daily Email

Sunday, June 24, 2018

John The Baptist

After all these years I have a great affinity for John the Baptist. The image I like best is that he calls himself "the friend of the Bridegroom" and is able to share in the happiness and mission of Jesus. The line from Scripture that is always powerful for me who bears his name is "He will be called John."

I remember the summer when I was entering the Society of Jesus, I closed on my sold condo on this date and was without a place to stay for a couple of months. It reminded me that John must decrease so Christ must increase.

The sadness about this date is that it is the summer solstice when the daylight gets shorter as the light fades away until Christmas. I get duped. I want to be happy that the fullness of summer has arrived and as soon as it comes, it begins to point towards the fall and the change of seasons.

However, my plans are to spend this week with the Bridegroom and to enjoy the day in front of me. This week is all around restoring a work-life balance that has been out of whack. This 2018 has been one that consumed much time and energy from me and I need to rest and disconnect for a while.

While I'm here at the retreat house in Cape May, I'm amazed at the industriousness of the Sisters of St. Joseph. After a whole lifetime of generous service to the church, these woman volunteer their time caring for a large retreat house. They cook, clean, give direction, provide maintenance and groundskeeping, acts of sacristans and music directors, and every other imaginable household chore. They do it all - cheerfully, simply, with elegance and grace, and frugally. Their community of faith is amazing to watch.

I've been happy that it has been overcast the past few days. First, I cover every part of my body so that sun does not warm my body, and second, it has kept me indoors to nap, to rest, and to pray. All is good.

Today, I may even paint!


No comments:

Post a Comment