Daily Email

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The First Day at the Studio

Well, I opened the studio and I invited people into the gallery space. I have to admit that I was sheepish saying things like, "I just moved in. I'm not quite set up," or "I'm a new painter." I was self-dismissive because it is unsettling to have someone evaluate your creations. Then I began to enjoy the people who were visiting.

I had a fairly extensive conversation with a couple from France who were visiting the city. Then a family from Italy came by for a viewing, then a charming older woman from Switzerland stopped. ya ya. Next, some Germans walked through and they said they were visiting their college-aged son. One couple from New York chatted and asked, "Why are there few people here?" I explained that the outdoor SoWa Markets closed in October and the foot traffic slows in the winter. They said, "We came up from New York to see it." I met two other families from New York who came to Boston for a holiday to escape the big City. It was fascinating to discover who was visiting.

I share the space with a studio mate who does abstract work. Several people gravitated to her work, but I also notice that many people lingered at mine. This is not a comparison because the work cannot be compared, but it at least gave me confidence to know that my work is appreciated and admired.

A teenage girl popped in and said, "I like your paintings. I like that one, that one, that one, that one, and that one, but this is my favorite." I said, "Thank you." She replied, "My sister likes museums, but I like art galleries. The people are real in the studios and you get to talk with the artists. You can't talk with anyone in the museums."

After half an hour, the girl came back with her family and said, "Of all the paintings in this studio, I had to come back and look at my favorite one." That warmed my heart.

In the nearly two hours that I spent in the gallery, 46 people stopped by for a visit. I can't wait until First Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment