Daily Email

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Spirituality: “The Look of Jesus” by Anthony de Mello, S.J.

But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are talking about.” At that moment, while he was still speaking, a cock crowed, and the Lord turned and looked straight at Peter … and Peter went outside and wept bitterly. (cf., Luke 22:60-66)

I had a fairly good relationship with the Lord. I would ask him for things, converse with him, praise him, thank him …

But always I had this uncomfortable feeling that he wanted me to look at him. And I would not. I would talk, but look away when I sensed he was looking at me.

I was afraid. I should find an accusation there of some unrepented sin. I thought I should find a demand there; there would be something he wanted from me.

One day I finally summoned up courage and looked! There was no accusation. There was no demand. The eyes just said, “I love you.”

And I walked out and, like Peter, I wept.


Source: The Song of the Bird, pp. 113-114.

No comments:

Post a Comment