Daily Email

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Spirituality: First Corinthians 13 - Christmas Version

If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strings of twinkling lights, and shiny balls, but do not show love to my family and others, I am just another decorator.

If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love to my family and others, I am just another cook.

If I work at a soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home, and give all I have to charity, but do not show love to my family, it profits me nothing.

If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crystal snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir's cantata, but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point.

Love stops the cooking to hug the child, or kiss the husband or bless the needy.

Love is kind, though harried or tired.

Love doesn't envy another's home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens.

Love doesn't yell at the kids or other family to get out of the way, but is thankful that they are there to get in the way.

Love doesn't give only to those who are able to give in return, but rejoices in giving to those who can't.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things.


Love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment