Daily Email

Saturday, April 1, 2023

Poem: “The Journey to Jerusalem” by: Macrina Wiederkehr, O.S.B.

From the cross 

the arms of Jesus stretch out 

like wings 

wide, all-embracing.

So inclusive are these arms of God 

even as I am drawn in 

I, who chose not to go to Jerusalem.

 

I hear these words again, 

echoing in my soul 

“Behold we are going up to Jerusalem!”

 

My eyes rest on the wood of the cross 

So this is where that journey led you! 

I suspected as much 

that’s why I didn’t go.

 

My tightly clenched fists of fear 

open just a bit 

My mediocre heart 

kneels down. 

 

I lay my head into my hands 

I weep softly, but not desperately 

Love, like this, always makes me nervous.

The face under my mediocrity 

peers out at the cross 

and I ache because I didn’t go.

 

The face under my mediocrity 

peers out at the cross 

and I ache 

because the perfect love 

that casts out fear 

is not at home in me.

 

And yet, those arms of God 

those wings of love 

keep on encircling me. 

I feel incredibly taken in, 

accepted, loved.

 

May this wood of the cross 

be my tree of life 

leading me to all the Jerusalems 

I still must journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment