Daily Email

Thursday, February 3, 2022

Fr. Predmore's Fundraiser

 Bear with me while I present a wild and crazy idea. After all, this is the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, so let me present to you my fund raising initiative. 

 

For months I have been reading about the situation with the homeless at intersections of Mass and Cass (Massachusetts and Melnea Cass Avenues), and have felt, like you, powerless to be an active part of the solution. Prayer sufficed, and prayer is the best part. The Jesuit community prayed often for a humane solution for this societal challenge.

 

In early January, I kept waking up with the prompting to do something tangible. I went to the website of the agency that is directly behind the infamous intersection and I saw a unique opportunity at the Boston Healthcare for the Homeless Program (BCHCP). I was making a donation in honor of the late Mary Richardson, who was a Channel 5 co-host of the long-running series Chronicle. This strange and wild idea would not leave me.

 

Vincent Van Gogh once wrote, “If you hear a voice within you say, "you cannot paint," then go ahead and paint, and the voice will be silenced.”

 

On their website, BCHCP had a fund raising project directly connected with the Boston Marathon, an iconic sports event in New England. It asks participants to raise $10,000.00 for the agency which allows you a non-competitive bid to enter the Boston Marathon. That is what I intend to do. 

 

But, Fr. John…… you are of a mature age and you are overweight. Yes, you are right. I will be entering the marathon rather than racing in it. I am a practical man and a realist. I will do my best to pace myself with jogging mixed with walking, but the goal is not the race but to raise money for the homeless. For me, it is a daunting undertaking and I need your help in two ways. 

 

What do I need? I need to raise $10,000 by early April, and your financial support will take a burden off of me. I cannot put a burden on the Jesuit community for financial support because we are a community of low financial resources. I need your prayers. Please pray for the People of God who are without adequate housing and have many complicated needs. As temporary housing is set up for those who are struggling, their precarious situation appears long-term. I want them to know that we regard them with the dignity that is inherent in their humanity and that together we can work for compassionate solutions for all our societal challenges. 

 

Please know of my prayers for you as you support my fund raising goals. 

 

https://www.givengain.com/ap/john-predmore-raising-funds-for-boston-health-care-for-the-homeless-program/

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment