Daily Email

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Prayer: A Prayer to Understand the World Better

Lord Jesus, I need your help to understand the confusing, complex social issues that confront today’s society. 

Reveal to me where I need to grow in my comprehension of the issues before me. 
Reveal to me where I need to become conscious of the ways my worldview affects the lives of others. If my thoughts cause someone else to suffer, please help me understand better. 

Help me to remain open to ideas of others that might confront, challenge, or shake up the views I hold. May I not be too firm in my convictions, lest they cause unneeded pain, and may I always be student of the signs of the times. 

As ideas and language around me change, assist me in seeing where I hold onto attitudes and ideas that formed me and once served me well, but now may need further examination. Help me to take down any illusions that get in the way of building the world as you intend, with the values you hold. Guide me to see that I do not own the truth, that I might in fact have biased perceptions that need deeper reflection. 

Sometimes I feel as if my views are being assaulted and I feel threatened inside, and I don’t know what to say in public. Tell me the truth in a loving, protective way, through continued prayer conversations so that I may understand more clearly. Go slowly with me, but not too slow. Be gentle, please, but be steady. Be patient with me. Like you, Lord, I want a world of harmony and right relationships, and I am suffering because of fractured relationships and of wrong words spoken. Increase my ability to understand someone else’s suffering. 

I want to feel as if I am progressing and contributing to the well-being of others and to the common good. I want to feel as if I am making the right steps during these confusing times. Help me, Lord, gently, to go forward in compassion and understanding so that I know I am doing your will. 

I ask for your guidance in growing trust. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment