Daily Email

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Poem: "I Am the Land" A poem in the Memory of Oscar Romero

A Poem in Memory of Oscar Romero
Richard J. Clark
Text: E. Ethelbert Miller

I am the land. 
I am the grass growing. 
I am the trees. 
I am the wind, the voice calling.
I am the poor. 
I am the hungry.

The doors of the church are wide open as wide as the heart of a man.
In times of trouble, here is a rock, here is a hand.

God knows the meaning of our prayers. I have asked our government to listen.
God is not dead and I will never die.

I am the land. I am the grass growing. I am the trees. I am the wind, the voice calling. 
I am the poor. I am the hungry.

He who is resurrected is revolutionary. He who is resurrected believes in peace.
This is the meaning of light. This is the meaning of love.

The souls of my people are the pages of history. The people of El Salvador are the people of the world.


I am Oscar Romero, a humble servant. 
I am the land. I am all the people who have no land. 
I am the grass growing. I am all the children who have been murdered. 
I am the trees. I am the priests, the nuns, the believers. 
I am the wind, the voice calling. I am the poets who will sing forever. 
I am the poor. I am the dreamer whose dreams overflow with hope. 
I am the hungry. 
I am the people. 
I am Oscar Romero.

No comments:

Post a Comment