Daily Email

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Poem: “On Hope” By Sir Walter Raleigh (English, 1552 – 1618)

Even such time, that takes in trust
Our youth, our joys, our all we have,
And pays us but with earth and dust;
Who, in the dark and silent grave,
When we have wandered all our ways,
Shuts up the story of our days,
But from this earth, this grave, this dust,
My God shall raise me up, I trust.

Sir Walter Raleigh is believed to have written this poem on the Tower of London on the night before his execution.


2 comments:

  1. Incredible faith! I saw a portion of the movie about Oscar Romero in class the other day. It was almost more than I could bear to watch the suffering but his faith and hope in God were exemplary. Once he set his feet on the path, he would not be deterred. Holiness!

    ReplyDelete