Daily Email

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Poem: Leaf by Leaf by Leaf (Unknown Poet)

Leaf by leaf by leaf
They tumble and fall
All my haggard hurts.

Like a cottonwood tree
Ever so slowly letting go,
So the heartache of my heart.

There goes a bit of sadness,
Now a leaf of anger flies;
Then it’s the dropping of self-pity.

The leaf of unforgiveness
Takes forever to fall,
Almost as long as non-trusting.

Leaf by leaf by leaf
They fall from my heart
Like a tree in its own time.

Old wounds don’t heal quickly,
They drop in despairing slowness,
Never looking at the clock.

It seems a forever process,
This healing of the hurt,
And I am none too patient.

But a quiet day finally comes
When the old tree with no leave,
is decidedly ready for the new.

And in my waiting heart,
The Branches with no leaves
Have just a hint of green.

No comments:

Post a Comment