Daily Email

Friday, March 23, 2018

Spirituality: “The Journey to Jerusalem” by Macrina Wiederkehr, OSB


From the cross the arms of Jesus stretch out like wings wide, self-embracing.

So inclusive are these arms of God even I am drawn in; I, who chose not to go to Jerusalem.

I hear those words again, echoing in my soul, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem.”

My eyes rest upon the wood of the cross; so this is where that journey led you! I suspected as much; that’s why I didn’t go.

My tightly clenched fists of fear open just a bit: my mediocre heart kneels down.

I lay my head into my hands; I weep softly, but not desperately. Love, like this, always makes me nervous.

The face under my mediocrity peers out at the cross and I ache because the perfect love that casts out fear is not at home in me.

And yet, those arms of God, those wings of love, keep on encircling me. I feel incredibly taken in, accepted, loved.

May this wood of the cross be my tree of life leading me to all the Jerusalems I still must journey.


Source: Seasons of Your Heart: Prayers and Reflections, pp. 141-142.


No comments:

Post a Comment