Thursday, September 22, 2011

Spirituality: From The Song of the Bird by Anthony de Mello

I was a neurotic for years. I was anxious and depressed and selfish. And everyone kept telling me to change. And everyone kept telling me how neurotic I was. And I resented them, and I agreed with them, and I wanted to change, but I just couldn’t bring myself to change, no matter how hard I tried. 

What hurt the most was that my best friend also kept telling me how neurotic I was. He too kept insisting that I change. And I agreed with him too, though I couldn’t bring myself to resent him.

And I felt so powerless and so trapped. Then one day he said to me, “Don’t change. Stay as you are. It really doesn’t matter whether you change or not. I love you just as you are; I cannot help loving you.”

 These words sounded like music to my ears: “Don’t change. Don’t change. Don’t change. I love you.” 

And I relaxed. And I came alive. And, oh wondrous marvel, I changed.