Daily Email

Monday, December 24, 2018

Prayer: “Christmas Eve Meditation” by Pope St. John XXIII

Night has fallen; the clear, bright stars are sparkling in the cold air; noisy voices rise to my ear from the city, voices of the revelers of this world who celebrate with merrymaking the poverty of their Savior. Around me in their rooms people are asleep, and I am still wakeful, thinking of the mystery of Bethlehem.

Mary and Joseph, knowing the hour is near, are turned away by the townsfolk and go out into the fields to look for a shelter. I am a poor shepherd; I have only a wretched stable, a small manger, some wisps of straw. I offer all of these to you; be pleased to come into my poor hovel. I offer you my heart; my soul is poor and bare of virtues, the straws of so many imperfections will prick you and make you weep – but, oh, my Lord, what can you expect? This little is all I have. I am touched by your poverty. I am moved to tears, but I have nothing better to offer you. Jesus, honor my soul with your presence, adorn it with your graces. Burn this straw and change it into a soft couch for your most holy body.

Jesus, I am here waiting for your coming. Wicked men have driven you out, and the wind is like ice. I am a poor man, but I will warm you as well as I can. At least be pleased that I wish to welcome you warmly, to love you and sacrifice myself for you.

Come, come, Jesus, I await you. Come, be my guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment