Daily Email

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Spirituality: “This is Seedtime” By Alfred Delp, S.J.

Alfred Delp was a German Jesuit who was executed for his resistance to the Nazi regime. Fr. Delp was offered his freedom if he would renounce the Jesuits. He refused and was hanged on February 2, 1945.

One thing is becoming gradually clear –
I must surrender myself completely.
This is seedtime, not harvest.
God sows the seed and some time or other
he will do the reaping.
The one thing I must do is make sure
the seed falls on fertile ground.
And I must arm myself against the pain and depression
that sometimes almost defeat me.
If this is the way God has chosen
– and everything indicates that it is –
then I must willingly and without rancor make it my way.
May others at some future time find it possible
to have a better and happier life 
because we died in this hour of trial.


Source: Alfred Delp, S.J., With Bound Hands;  pp. 4-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment