Daily Email

Friday, November 28, 2014

Prayer: "Christmas Shopping" by Wiederker


O God of words, dear Word made flesh,
Give birth to my thoughts,
Change them into words
That will help me to Christmas up the lives
Of those I love, for I am weak and fragile
Scared and empty this year
And still I feel you very near.

Jesus, I think I hear you coming.
I think I hear a sound that says
You’ve cared your way into my life again.

I think I see a light more lasting
Than the ones we hang on trees.
I think I see a world
That’s splashed with God again
So gospelled with his presence;
So covered with his love.
Yet, lonely still …

O shoppers, dear shoppers, put your carts away.
Please put your carts away
And search deep down within your hearts
For gifts that will not rust or fade.
For where your treasure is,
There is your heart.

O look into your God-splashed, gospelled hearts
And see! See Christmas standing there
Waiting to be, not bought,
But given free.

We are Christmas shoppers, Lord.
We are shopping for a way
To make your coming last.
O take the blind in us and hold it close.
O teach us how to see.
Decorate our lives with your vision.
For Christmas, let us see!

O shoppers, dear shoppers!
Hang lights in your hearts
Instead of on your trees.
For the One we’ve hung our hopes on
Has come, and now we’re free
But only if we see.

Jesus, we long for Christmas-eyes.
Please heal the blind in us.

For Christmas, eyes that see!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I will be using this for the women at Bible Study and I think I'll bring it to RCIA as well. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give us those Christmas eyes! May this poem enrich the women at Bible Study and those seekers at RCIA.

      Delete