Daily Email

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Poem: Poem for Palm Sunday (Anonymous)


will I lay my cloak before you,
when they arrest you on olive mountain,
or pull it tighter around me,
fading into the ranks of the deserters;
will I shout
“Blessed is the one who comes
in the name of the Lord!”
when they parade you
before the authorities,
or will I tell any one – and every one – around me
I never met you in my life;
will I lay my palm branches at your feet,
as they march you to Calvary,
or use them to put more stripes
on your bloody back;
will I run behind you
when they carry you to the tomb,
or turn away
as the ashes of my hopes
are rubbed into the
wounds of my heart?

3 comments:

  1. John, thank you for this beautiful poem. I will share this at RCIA tomorrow evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume that you wrote this so I can give proper credit?

      Delete
    2. Lynda, I came across it on the web as anonymous. I've updated the field to properly credit it. Sorry about that.

      Delete