Acts 2:14, 36-41; Psalm 23; 1 Peter 2:20-25; John 10:1-10
· May 17, 1572. Pope Gregory XIII exempted the Society from choir and approved simple vows after two years of novitiate and ordination before solemn profession. In these matters he reversed a decree of St Pius V.
· May 18, 1769. The election of Cardinal Lorenzo Ganganelli as Pope Clement XIV. He was the pope who suppressed the Society.
· May 19, 1652. Birth of Paul Hoste, mathematician and expert on construction of ships and history of naval warfare.
· May 20, 1521. Ignatius was seriously wounded at Pamplona, Spain, while defending its fortress against the French.
· May 21, 1925. Pius XI canonizes Peter Canisius, with Teresa of the Child Jesus, Mary Madeleine Postal, Madeleine Sophie Barat, John Vianney, and John Eudes. Canisius is declared a Doctor of the Church.