Daily Email

Monday, June 9, 2014

Prayer: "A Prayer for Growing Up at Thirty-Five" by John Shea

I am still looking
for footsteps to follow
like the phony feet
they paste on dancing room floors.
I do not want every day to arrive
like a blank page in a typewriter.
I want the clarity of a slice of moon
and the security of a lottery winner.
My soul yearns
for a turn-of-the-century Eden
with a weekday lunch at home
and jam preserves in mason jars
and naps on the swing
after baseball and beer.
On weekends
I want my mind to click off
like a construction site at night,
I want
routine without monotony,
expectation without pressure,
money without work,
love without need
and if I do not get it,
I will hold my breath
till my face turns
as blue as a circus balloon.
But over my shoulder
a chorus of heaven and earth,
finally finding a ground of agreement,
chants like marchers for a doomed cause,
"Oh grow up!"


2 comments:

  1. Excellent. The key is "I want" - two words that can stunt our growth if not used wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisely stated, and it could also lead to greater freedom if we finally speak of God's desires in us for us.

    ReplyDelete