Daily Email

Monday, September 7, 2015

A Prayer Booklet for September 8th (Print in Double Columns)

September 8th
The Birth of Mary

Greeting

Prayer: Aloysius Gonzaga, S.J.

O Mary, my mother, into your trust and custody and into the care of your mercy, I, this day and every day, commend my soul and my body. To you, I commit all my anxieties and miseries, my life and the end of my life, that by your most holy intercession all my actions may be directed and disposed according to your will and that of your Son.

Poem: A solis ortus cardine

From the edge of the sunrise, to the ends of the earth,
we sing to Christ our leader, born of the Virgin Mary.
The blest Author of ages took on the form of a slave,
that flesh might be liberated by flesh,
and not consigned to perdition.

The grace of heaven entered the womb of the chaste parent:  the belly of a girl
carried secretly that which in uncreated.
He endured a bed of straw, and did not despise the manger; he was nursed like an ordinary infant.

The celestial choir rejoiced, and sang to God:
the Shepherd of Creation was made know to shepherds.
Jesus, glory be to you, born of the Virgin,
and to the Father and to the Holy Spirit, for eternity of ages. Amen.

Psalm 45: RThe queen stands at your right hand, arrayed in gold.

My heart is stirred by a noble theme,
as I sing my ode to the king.
My tongue is the pen of a nimble scribe. R.

Daughters of kings are your lovely wives;
a princess arrayed in Ophir’s gold
comes to stand at your right hand. R.

Listen, my daughter, and understand;
pay me careful heed.
Forget your people and your father’s house,
that the king might desire your beauty.
He is your lord. R.

honor him, daughter of Tyre.
Then the richest of the people
will seek your favor with gifts. R.

All glorious is the king’s daughter as she enters,
her raiment threaded with gold;
In embroidered apparel she is led to the king. R.

The maids of her train are presented to the king.
They are led in with glad and joyous acclaim;
they enter the palace of the king. R.

from The Blessed Virgin compared to the Air we Breathe, Gerard Manley Hopkins, 1883

Wild air, world-mothering air,
Nestling me everywhere,
That each eyelash or hair
Girdles; does home betwixt
The fleeciest, frailest-fixed
Snowflake; that’s fairly mixed
With, riddles, and is rife
In every least thing’s life;
This needful, never spent,
And nursing element;
My more than meat and drink,
My meal at every wink;
This air, which, by life’s law,
My lung must draw and draw
Now but to breathe its praise,
Minds me in many ways
Of her who not only
Gave God’s infinity
Dwindled to infancy
Welcome in womb and breast,
Birth, milk, and all the rest
But mothers each new grace
That does now reach our race –
Mary Immaculate,
Merely a woman, yet
Whose presence, power is
Great as no goddess’s
Was deemed, dreamed; who
This one work has to do –
Let all God’s glory through,
God’s glory which would go
Through her and from her flow
Off, and no way but so.

I say that we are wound
With mercy round and round
As if with air: the same
Is Mary, more by name.
She, wild web, wondrous robe,
Mantles the guilty globe,
Since God has let dispense
Her prayers his providence:
Nay, more than almoner,
The sweet alms’ self is her
And men are meant to share
Her life as life does air.


Song or Silence

Intercessions

Our Father

Closing Prayer: Pope Benedict XVI

Let us ask Mary to teach us how to become like her, inwardly free, so that in openness to God we may find true freedom, true life, genuine and lasting joy.

Salve Regina

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiæ,
vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevæ,
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos
misericordes oculos ad nos converte;
Et Jesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.
O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria.




Description: Macintosh HD:Users:johnpredmore:Desktop:th-10.jpg








Prayer by John Predmore, S.J.








Description: Macintosh HD:Users:johnpredmore:Desktop:mary-clip-art-RcA6eBRcL.jpeg


The Nativity of Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment