Daily Email

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Poem: "For Lent" by Monica Lavia

What are you giving up for Lent? Adam asked of Eve.
Well, Eve said. I am thinking I should give up apples.
And what about you, husband of mine?
Adam replied, I think I am going to give up taking advice from you.
What are you giving up for Lent?
Abel asked his brother Cain?
Cain replied, I am going to try to give up my anger
Lest in a weak moment, I injure someone I love.
What are you giving up for Lent?
Jacob asked his twin, Esau.
Apparently my birthright, little brother of mine.
What are you giving up for Lent?
Moses asked of Aaron?
I am going to give up worshiping false gods                                                
Especially the golden calf variety.                                                                 
What about you? Aaron asked Moses in return.                                         
I am giving up my need to see the promised  land.                                    
What are you giving up for lent?                                                                                
Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar asked Job.                                                         
I am giving up trying to understand the mind of God.                                
What are you giving up for Lent?  I asked of Mary.
She whispered her response so softly
I had to move in close to her to hear her hushed reply:

My only Son

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and powerful, although I have to be that one person who nit-picks about something. Jesus wasn't Mary's only son, although "My first-born son" would work. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete