Daily Email

Monday, August 31, 2009

Prayer: Falling in Love - Attributed to Pedro Arrupe. S.J.

Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is,
than falling in love.

In a quite absolute, final way,
what you are in love with,
what seizes your imagination,
will affect everything.

It will decide
what will get you out of bed in the morning,
what you do with your evenings,
how you spend your weekend,
what you read, who you know,
what breaks your heart,
and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.

Fall in love, stay in love,
and it will decide everything.

8 comments:

  1. This poem has touched me so much. Having been put into a position that I really don't like and is draining me dry the truth of this poem is like water to a dying plant.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I'm glad you found it. It is a favorite of many Jesuits. I'm glad the poem is nourishing you. Love is a moment by moment choice and is hard work, but we can find much beauty in the freedom and auhority these words give us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best poem ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saint Ignatius ethics class!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is beauty at its best and a powerful reflection as I use this poem when I do my praying and fasting. Father Pedro was a gift as God is good all the time
      All the time God is good

      Charlie in Minneapolis

      Delete
    2. God is very good for giving us Arrupe and men like you who admire him.

      Delete