Daily Email

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Poem: "The Place I Want to Get Back To" by Mary Oliver from "Thirst"

is where 
in the pinewoods
in the moments between
the darkness

and the first light
two deer
came walking down the hill
and when they saw me

they said to each other, okay,
this one is okay,
let's see who she is
and why she is sitting

on the ground, like that,
so quiet, as if
asleep, or in a dream,
but, anyway, harmless;

and so they came
on their slender legs
and gazed upon me
not unlike the way

I go out to the dunes and look
and look and look
into the faces of the flowers;
and then one of them leaned forward  

and nuzzled my hand, and what can my life
bring to me that could exceed
that brief moment?
For twenty years

I have gone every day to the same woods,
not waiting, exactly, just lingering,
Such gifts, bestowed,
can't be repeated.

If you want to talk about this
come to visit. I live in the house
near the corner, which I have named
Gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. This poem took me deep into a sacred memory that I cherish; furthermore, I can relate to naming a house "Gratitude". There aren't enough words or space for me to explain my gratitude for my home and the life that our Lord has given to me. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in gratitude is a great source of grace and maturity.

      Delete